top of page
  • Writer's picturePolar

Understanding Your Green Energy Suppliers

A Green Energy Supplier can help you do your bit to save the planet, whilst also helping you to save money! Join us as we look at the UK’s Green Energy Suppliers.

Understanding Your Green Energy Suppliers

For a long time we have been conditioned to believe that if we want to look after the planet we all share, we need to use less energy. Whilst this has been true for decades, the face of the UK Energy Industry is ever changing at a high speed. No longer is the lions’ share of British energy generated by burning fossil fuels like coal, oil and natural gas. In fact, a growing proportion of our energy comes from 100% renewable sources like wind, solar and hydro-power.

What’s more, a new breed of Green Energy companies have risen to prominence within the market; delivering renewable energy to consumers at great prices. Now that it has become more affordable than ever to generate and purchase renewable energy, even the “Big 6” Energy Suppliers are getting in on the act. Here we will take a look at some of the UK’s Green Energy Suppliers and the reasons why you should consider them for your home.

What Is A Green Energy Supplier?

Quite a lot of Energy Suppliers today offer at least one tariff with 100% renewable energy. However that doesn’t necessarily make them Green Energy Suppliers. A Green Energy Supplier is an Energy Company that exclusively deals in energy from renewable sources. The Energy Experts at Switch-Plan have identified some of the UK’s leading green-energy/green-suppliers Green Energy Suppliers of all shapes and sizes.

These include:

  • Octopus Energy

  • Bulb

  • Ecotricity

  • Green Energy UK

  • N Power / E.On Next

All of the above feature 100% renewable electricity from either wind power, solar power, hydro-power or (in most cases) a combination of the three. Because the UK is the world’s biggest supplier of wind energy, most of the renewable energy in the UK comes from wind power.

Some Green Energy Suppliers also offer carbon-neutral gas. This may be a greener alternative to gas biomethane from plant, animal and farm waste or carbon offset gas where the carbon generated is negated by carbon negative investments and endeavours elsewhere.

Who Is The Best Green Energy Supplier?

That depends on what you are looking for in a Green Energy Supplier. If you are looking for a supplier that provides great value for money, you will find that Octopus Energy and Bulb are often ranked among the cheapest energy suppliers in the Country.

However, if you are after the Greenest possible Energy Supplier, your best bet is likely to be Ecotricity. Although they are not the cheapest Energy Supplier on the market, they offer 100% green electricity, as well as carbon-neutral gas. 99% of this is carbon offset, whilst the remaining 1% of their gas comes from biomethane. As none of their biomethane gas comes from animal sources they are the only supplier in the UK endorsed by The Vegan Society.

Do Green Energy Suppliers offer the Smart Export Guarantee?

Yes. If you have, or are thinking of getting Solar PV panels, you will find that many of the UK’s Green Energy Suppliers also offer great Smart Export Guarantee rates. Octopus Energy, Bulb and E.On all currently offer leading rates for the SEG, with Octopus Energy currently offering market-leading rates of 5.5p per kWh at the time of writing.

The combination of Solar Panels and Green Energy Suppliers can be a cost and carbon saving powerhouse!

48 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page